Kedarkantha Winter Trek
Kedarkantha Trek is among the very beautiful treks located in the Himalayan vales of Uttarakhand. Most people often get confused between the names "Kedarnath" and "Kedarkantha".
People often tend to think that both the places are the same trek. Well, let me tell you that it is not the same. Kedarkantha is a Trek, while Kedarnath also is situated in Uttarakhand but there is a very famous temple also named Kedarnath Temple. Thus, both of these places are different.
The journey begins at Dehradun. It's a drive of around 198km from Dehradun to Sankri village. This will take you about 10 to 11 hours. There're direct public buses available from Dehradun to Sankri that begin around 5 AM & 7 AM.
Do not worry in case you somehow miss the bus; as you can take other connecting buses to reach Hanol or Purola and from there you can change to another bus to reach Sankri village.
Or you can just simply hire a taxi or shared jeep to reach the Sankari village from Dehradun.
In case you do not want to go by bus, then you will have to hire a taxi till the Sankri village which will take you around 8 hours or so.
The journey from Dehradun to Sankri is quite refreshing because you will see beautiful villages, watch the lush green meadows, the pine & oak trees, as well as snow-capped mountains passing through on the curvy roads. You can also see the Tons river beside you while traveling to Sankri.
You will encounter a stunning lake encircled by pine trees and a campsite, and this lake is the Juda Ka Talab. From the base camp, Sankri to Juda ka Talab there is an altitude of 9,000ft. which is a 5km climb. It will take you around 5 hours to watch the luscious green pine, meadows, maple, and oak trees.
The Juda Ka Talab freezes during peak winters and thus you can also walk on the frozen surface of the lake. You may see many camps near the lake, at just 2 minute walk. This lake is around 04KM from Sankri and it takes around 3-4 hours to trek.
After Juda-Ka-Talab, your next destination of the Kedarkantha trek is the Kedarkantha Base Camp. The distance from the Juda-Ka-Talab to the Base Camp is just 02 kilometers.
But in case you're doing this trek during the winter then you can get a lot of snow between Juda-ka-Talab and Kedarkantha Base Camp. For this reason, you can also feel some hardship in trekking after this Juda-Ka-Talap location.
After a full day's rest at the Kedarkantha Base Camp, you have to begin the trek the next day to the summit early in the morning. This will help you to reach the summit before sunrise and you can enjoy the stunning beauty of Kedarkantha's sunrise.
From the Kedarkantha Base Camp, the distance is approximately 4 to 5 km to Kedarkantha Peak as the location rests at an altitude of 11,250ft and is also considered the most difficult part of this trek.
During winter, you can even get 3 to 4 ft deep snow to reach the Kedarkantha peak. Thus, you need to be very careful while trekking during winter.
Now it's time to come back to the Sankri village! You'll have to take an around a 3 km trek which will take you around 3-4 hours from Judwa ka Talab to Sankri village. Then we'll start our drive to Dehradun. In case you wish to stay one more day in Sankri village, then go ahead!
- All meals starting from dinner on day 1 to breakfast on day 5
- Professional mountain guide, professional cook, experienced staffs
- Basic first aid kits
- Forest Department’s charges
- Guest house and tents accommodations throughout the trip on a triple sharing basis.
- 5% GST on trek cost
- Transport support from Dehradun to Sankri and same for ret
- Transport to reach Dehradun from hometown and return
- Accommodation in Dehradun
- Any transport support during the trip other than those specified in Inclusions
- Any expenses for medical treatment of injury or accident before, during or after the journey
- Food items purchased by individuals at local canteens on the trek or during the drive
- Any early return travel costs or accommodation except for the days as per the itinerary
- Package excludes porter/mule charges for personal luggage
- Any cost arising due to unforeseen events like bad weather, roadblocks, medical evacuation, etc
- Booking can be done by online-bank transfer and UPI in company’s account.
- Booking amount is 30% of total trek fee.
- 30 Days or more before date of departure: 30% of total cost.
- 20 days before date of departure: 100% of total cost.
Before departure from starting point(as mentioned in our tour package), if a trip is called off from our side due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rains, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike etc.), full paid amount will be refunded.
In case you wish to cancel your trip, kindly send us an email email@example.com
Cancellation charges per person
- Cancel before 30 days of trek start date and get refund after deduction of 5% on booking amount
- Cancel before 20 days of trek start date and get refund after deduction of 15% of total trek fee.
- Cancel before 10 days of trek start date and get refund after deduction of 40% of total trek fee.
- Trek fee is non-refundable if you cancel within 9 days before trek start date.
- Trek fee is non-refundable if a trek is called off due to a natural calamity after departure from the starting point.